List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Some KOffice questions
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carsten.pfeiffer () alumni ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2008-02-23 20:43:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag, 23. Februar 2008 schrieb A. Gunes Koru:

Hi Gunes,

may contributions to KOffice were rather small, but I'll try to answer anyway.
I'll CC the KOffice developers' list, so that they may add some comments if
they want.

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I've been looking at some KOffice source code for a while, which made
> me wonder about five short questions that I listed below. I wanted to
> drop a quick email and get your opinions because you contributed to
> KOffice. This is not anything big, and it will take less than 5 min. of
> your time. You can just hit reply, type your answers in, and hit the
> send button.
>
> Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate your help and ideas.
>
> Gunes
>
> P.S. I am a professor of information systems at UMBC, and I am just
> asking these questions because I am curious (no connection with any
> company or organization, no special interest, etc.See my web pages at
> http://umbc.edu/~gkoru).
>

> == Here we go:
>
>  Please answer Q1, Q2, and Q3 for a Koffice product that you have  the
> most experience with (e.g. KSpread):
>
> Q 1. Let us assume that you are asked to simplify the design of the
> product without changing its functionality  (also known as
> "refactoring" or "restructuring"). The classes  that you end up
> choosing to focus on would be mostly: (put an "X" mark after one of the
> below options).
>
> * larger classes X
> * smaller classes
> * size would not be a factor
>
>  Q 2. What would be the reason for your answer to Q1?
> (enter textual response below)

Larger classes often do too much, that is, they tend to implement more than
one concern. As the separation of concerns plays a major role in improving
those so-called "ilities" (reliability, changeability, maintainability,
evolvability, ...), these classes are a good target for refactorings.

>  Q 3. Please indicate your agreement or disagreement with this
> statement:
>
> "As the product gets larger, the need for refactoring increases"
>
> (put an "X" mark after one of the below options).
>
> * Strongly Agree
> * Agree X
> * Neutral
> * Disagree
> * Strongly Disagree
>

>  Please answer Q4 and Q5 by using your general knowledge about all
> KOffice products (i.e. KWord, KSpread, KPresenter, etc.)
>
>  Q 4. Please indicate your agreement or disagreement with this
> statement:
>
> "Larger KOffice products (e.g. those with larger  number of classes or
> lines of code) are more likely to have gone under more refactoring
> efforts/attempts  compared with smaller KOffice products". (put an "X"
> mark after one of the below options).
>
> * Strongly Agree
> * Agree X
> * Neutral
> * Disagree
> * Strongly Disagree
>

>  Q 5. Please indicate your agreement or disagreement with this
> statement:
>
> "As time goes on, the size of a KOffice product under use gets larger,
> and, if we look at our past experience, this principle have always
> applied." (put an "X" mark after one of the below options).
>
> * Strongly Agree
> * Agree X
> * Neutral
> * Disagree
> * Strongly Disagre
>
>  If you have any additional comments or opinions about the above
> questions and the related topics, please put it here:  (enter text)
>

> == Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Carsten