List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord for 2.0
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-02-19 8:16:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Cyrille, thanks for your answer :)

On Monday 18 February 2008 20:59:29 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Monday 18 February 2008 16:49:01 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > one [org] basically asked me what we need to do to make sure KWord
> > > can be released in 2.0, so we can get someone to do it.
>
> The thing is the we don't have a more extensive list, and honestly, we
> have limited time to work on it, especially has you have seen, koffice
> core developers have decided to concentrate on getting kpresenter out
> (the reasons are detailed here [1]). That said, it doesn't prevent
> anyone to work on KWord, the decision on where to put the effort is up
> to the developer. But indeed, as you mentioned it, coordination is
> crucial.

Indeed, I could probably come up with a list myself. But my main goal here
is to do this the correct way; which means including anyone that wants to
have a say into this todo-list.  Please tell me bugs, missing features
etc that are keeping KWord from being releasable.

> > Re-reading my mail I'm shamed to say I forgot to point out that while
> > the goal is clear; to make sure KWord gets a leg up and gets released
> > with 2.0, the best way to do that is still under investigation.
> >
> > Some things we talked about include;
> > * Hiring someone for 3 or 4 months to do the work. (this is our ideal
> > now)
>
> I am sure it can't hurt, and it can certainly brings a lot, so if it
> can be done, it would be great.

The money is mostly a done deal, now we need to find a qualified person
that can drop everything he is doing for the next 3-4 months. Thats the
hard part :)

Hmm, hard part...
some months ago Boud asked me to leave, and he was right, actually, I was
far to close on the subject matter, especially without any time to code
things.  My role in this kword-for-2.0 project is uncertain, maybe
mentor, maybe sidelines. Not sure yet. One thing is certain in my mind;
whatever my role I won't get into any discussions except maybe for the
occasional "I meant xyz with that tech". I want to avoid anyone from
feeling upset.

Ok, enough sentimentals :)
Be blunt with me, please;  if you think this is a bad idea just say so
(preferably also why), or just anything else thats on your mind.

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander