List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord for 2.0
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-02-19 11:18:49

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 18 February 2008 20:59:29 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > The thing is the we don't have a more extensive list, and honestly, we
> > have limited time to work on it, especially has you have seen, koffice
> > core developers have decided to concentrate on getting kpresenter out
> > (the reasons are detailed here [1]). That said, it doesn't prevent
> > anyone to work on KWord, the decision on where to put the effort is up
> > to the developer. But indeed, as you mentioned it, coordination is
> > crucial.
>
> Indeed, I could probably come up with a list myself. But my main goal here
> is to do this the correct way; which means including anyone that wants to
> have a say into this todo-list.  Please tell me bugs, missing features
> etc that are keeping KWord from being releasable.

One thing that could be done (and should be done) is to leverage on the
non-developers in the communauty that have a build of KOffice, and have them
complete that list (and the list for KPresenter), that way, it doesn't eat
the scarce resources of developers time. Not sure about the best format for
this, list on the wiki or spaming bugs.kde.org (and then linking with release
critical bugs) ?

> > > Re-reading my mail I'm shamed to say I forgot to point out that while
> > > the goal is clear; to make sure KWord gets a leg up and gets released
> > > with 2.0, the best way to do that is still under investigation.
> > >
> > > Some things we talked about include;
> > > * Hiring someone for 3 or 4 months to do the work. (this is our ideal
> > > now)
> >
> > I am sure it can't hurt, and it can certainly brings a lot, so if it
> > can be done, it would be great.
>
> The money is mostly a done deal, now we need to find a qualified person
> that can drop everything he is doing for the next 3-4 months. Thats the
> hard part :)
And for 3-4 monthes you need someone who doesn't need training and will be
efficient right now... Good luck :)

> Hmm, hard part...
> some months ago Boud asked me to leave, and he was right, actually, I was
> far to close on the subject matter, especially without any time to code
> things.  My role in this kword-for-2.0 project is uncertain, maybe
> mentor, maybe sidelines. Not sure yet. One thing is certain in my mind;
> whatever my role I won't get into any discussions except maybe for the
> occasional "I meant xyz with that tech". I want to avoid anyone from
> feeling upset.
>
> Ok, enough sentimentals :)
> Be blunt with me, please;  if you think this is a bad idea just say so
> (preferably also why), or just anything else thats on your mind.
As you asked for bluntness, I will answer with honesty :) Your mail did raise
some discutions, especially among people who felt frustrated in the past
after some discution in the list, but one thing that came up is "don't do the
other one what you don't want the other one to do to you" (it's a litteral
translation of a french expression, don't know how well it render in
English :/), basically while you shouldn't upset us, there is no reason why
we should upset you. All in all, I am pretty sure we can find a solution that
makes everybody happy. If you feel good with what you proposed above, I do
think it can work.

--
Cyrille Berger