List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 2.0 proposal
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-02-11 10:44:32

On Monday 11 February 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> as one of those "conferencing globe-trotters" i can tell you that, at least
> for me, the last thing i really want is a drawing tool that also happens to
> be a slide projector. ;) sadly, that's what all the existing solutions are,
> with the exception of things like latex-beamer and semantik.
>
> unfortunately, latex-beamer (as much i respect and appreciate it) suffers
> from the following two major issues:
>
> - it's output is too static to be even remotely useful for the sorts of
> presentation people do outside of academia
> - it requires one (at least right now) to learn latex. i suppose that can
> be fixed with a decent UI, which still leaves the above (for me, anyways)
> showstopper

While I completely agree with you that content-based-presentation ala beamer
is very efficient and allows to concentrate on the contents (and that it
would be very cool to have KPresenter works that way), I think that some
flexibility is also needed. Based on my beamer-powerpoint-experience, beamer
is very nice for 95% of the slides, because you can concentrate on the
content and leave Beamer do the hard work of layout (and still make some
animation and embedd video !), but some time you want to make some special
slides that requires some drawing habilities. So indeed, you can then fire up
an other application to do the drawing, but we have the technologies to
switch between "the ala beamer mode" and the "drawing-app-that-shows-slides"
for special cases.

--
Cyrille Berger