List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 2.0 proposal
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbr () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2008-02-11 11:30:18

Hi fellow hackers

It seems like some of you don't really understand the reason why we want to
skip karbon, krita etc

It's not about those apps at all. I really hate them going out too. This is
about kword and kpresenter. Without at least one of them (in addition to
kspread) we cant really do/call it  a koffice release.

So if we don't all focus on kpresenter (as kword is too far off) then it
will take like a year before we can release anything (including each of our
pet apps).

We are not enough devs to do the number of apps we do and still have a
release in 3 months (i count until about late beta).

So the choice is actually pretty simple: drop the other apps for now and
concentrate on kpresenter so we have something to call KOffice or to go on
and release in about a year.

I'm not going to tell you what waiting another year will do for dev morale,
and it certainly wont bring in new devs.

So people, once again, please let us focus 50% of our hacking time on
kspread, kpresenter and kchart that are needed to call it koffice. You are
all free to use the remaining 50% on your pet app and if they happen to be
releasable well then they will certainly get in.

But without kspread and kpresenter we have no release for them to get in to.

And yes this plea for participation goes out to every hacker. It doesn't
have to be kpresenter core, but maybe a shared resource. Just make sure it
is something that kpresenter need (as opposed to someting that just
supplements it)

It is equally legal to use you 50% "community time" on kspread or kchart,
but they don't seem to be as needy.

We also have the option of doing a quick 2.1 to add further apps - we just
need to finalize our base first.

And finaly - we can't force you to follow this - but please