List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kamion migration and backup tool
From:       Ljubomir Simin <ljubomir.simin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-01 10:23:34

On Thursday 01 November 2007 09:21, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 October 2007 22:23:57 Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> > Hi, KOffice developers,
> > Kamion is written in Qt4 with KDE4 in mind, but
> > there are some efforts aiming for desktop independence in the future.
>
> One thing in the kopete example; it uses
> prefix="$HOME/.kde/share/config/"
>
> The proper name is $KDEHOME/share/config
>
> I store my settings in $HOME/.kde4/ for instance.
>
> $KDEHOME is not always an environment variable, it can be configured. I
> suggest you use the KDE4 framework for that to figure out where things are
> actually stored.
> Making your app depend on kde4-libs will also mean you can backup from any
> kio device. I hope you will keep that even if you want to move to some
> desktop independence in the future.
>
> Cheers!

Thanks for the info. The kopete example was just for explanation purposes. Our
plan is that recipes are written by application developers (which know their
app the best), and installed in a predefined path from where the Kamion picks
them up. In that case you have the full control over the recipe, and can
adopt it whenever there is a change in your app. We know that this means one
more file for you to maintain, but you are the one which will keep it
functional with the least effort. Or would you rather leave it to some third
party? We're open to discussion.

Regards,

--
Ljubomir Simin