List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kamion migration and backup tool
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-01 10:56:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 01 November 2007 11:23:34 Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> Thanks for the info. The kopete example was just for explanation purposes.
> Our plan is that recipes are written by application developers

I think the idea is great, but I'm thinking the fileformat should be
stabilized before I'm willing to commit to this.

From looking at the example only I note that
* I have a hard time fitting my KDE app stuff onto the config file (only
judging the example, I didn't really understand the xsd).
I suggest having a look at how the various apps use KStandardDirs.  I expect
at least some tags for config and resource dirs.

* Spellcheck the xsd :)  existanceTestFile should probably be
existenceTestFile.

confusing.
Take a look at the (java) ant stuff here for inspiration. See the attributes
in the table on http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/javac.html
Includes and excludes are useful. The srcdir instead of <file> makes a lot
more sense to me too.
Something like;
  <dir>
    <kde-config/>
  </dir>
  <includes>kwordrc, kofficerc</includes>

or

  <dir>
    <kde-data/>kmail
  </dir>
  <excludes>lock, .*.index.*</excludes>

(not apparent in the examples is that you should be able to use both excludes
and includes at the same time)

When the fileformat stabilizes I think it becomes a lot more useful to get
application-authors to write tickets for your backup app (which I really
think is filling a very useful niche!)

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander