List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/filters/kword/mswrite
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-30 12:32:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 September 2007 14:15:07 Clarence Dang wrote:
> Firstly, I'm not a lawyer but this is what I think:

Thank you for coming back to this :)

> On Sunday 30 September 2007 6:43 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I have other problems with this relicense.
> > This code is in an executable with lots of other code, which is GPL.
>
> It is fine to have 2-clause (this case) or 3-clause BSD code in a GPL
> program. 4-clause BSD can't be inserted into GPL.

I'm not fully informed about the different BSD licenses out there, so I
actually had to go to the gpl FAQ to look it up.
Seems that I was mistaking the BSD variant you choose with another, older
one that held an advertising clause.

So, you are right (sorry!). This is not a problem from a legal POV.  The
whole filter will be distributed under GPL due to there being GPL code in
there.

> > Also you changed the license of the whole file with lots of people
> > having their code in there. (including me). Mostly not much, and thus
> > not worth putting your name in the top of the license.  But its not
> > really nice to change the licensing of a file thats been in svn for
> > so long. I have to point out its entirely legal, just not very nice.
> > I personally would not have changed a line of code in this filter if
> > it was BSD licensed from day one. So I personally think this is a
> > slap in the face.
>
> I'm sorry if you feel offended by this.  I can revert for this reason
> but are you sure you want me to revert this change, given that this
> change actually gives you more rights than before?

Lets just say that I have a different opinion on the good/bad effects of
the BSD license. ;)  Lets safe the details for an evening in the pub with
a nice beer.
The effect is that I don't want to spent time working on BSD code, as I
said in my previous mail.
--
Thomas Zander