List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/filters/kword/mswrite
From:       Kay Hayen <kayhayen () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-09-30 12:24:36

Hello,

Am Sonntag 30 September 2007 10:43:02 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> I have other problems with this relicense.
> This code is in an executable with lots of other code, which is GPL. This
> license change makes the whole undistributable.And thus worthless.

Just let me give you the counter example of the Linux kernel. It has a lot of
BSD code inside.

The BSD license is perfectly compatible with GPL.

By no means must code being linked with GPL code be GPL itself, it must only
not impose additional requirements, which the BSD license and a few others
don't. I for my part e.g. plan to link to Koffice with e.g. libxml2 (doesn't
it already?) which is also BSD licensed and that won't cause a problem
either.

That is, as long it's not the BSD variant with the advertising clause, which
_would_ be an additional requirement.

Best regards,
Kay Hayen