List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Task control/Document control in kplato
From:       Dag Andersen <danders () get2net ! dk>
Date:       2007-09-20 12:32:53

Hi, this is mainly for Thomas, but any comment is wellcome.

I'm having a look at your document control proposition from a year or two ago,
found here:
http://www.koffice.org/competition/gui1results/thomas_zander.pdf

I'm looking for a general way to control task execution wether it's about
producing a document or doing some other thing.

I want to bounce this off you as there may be things you get with your
solution that I have missed in this proposal.

Ok, here it goes:

First I want to add the possibility to attach documents to *all* tasks, not
only to a special document task type.
These documents could contain any relevant information pertinent to the task,
e.g. check lists, standards, qa-docs, etc, and of course if the job is to
write/modify a document, also that document.
(So, it may or may not be necessary with a special document type task.)

Then I want to add a function to produce a workpackage that includes all the
information needed to perfom the task.. This would include info on the task
like name, start-/finish dates, description etc, along with urls to or copies
of the documents. Unique info on project/task and how to report back is also
included. This workpackage can then be mailed to the users that shall do the
job.

The workpackage would be a zip'ed file (I think), so the user sees only one
file and it can be opened with a new app.

This new app handles workpackages on the user side. It will generaly do the
same things you outline in your document:
- Where to store the workpackage file (eg $KDEHOME/...).
- How to report back progress.
- What to do when the task is finished.

This way we don't need special handling of this by the app that edits the
document, which makes it possible to handle any type of file or use any app
to edit.

Integration with pim can still be as you have outlined, with the addition that
the new app also could have function to mail a VTODO to the users pim. It
should also be possible to create a kdepim resource that can read
workpackages directly.

--
Mvh
Dag Andersen