List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking ahead for further alpha releases
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-14 13:03:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 May 2007 13:22:09 Tomas Mecir wrote:
> 2007/5/14, Ariya Hidayat <ariya@kde.org>:
> > BTW, only "hope" is not enough. That's why we added (and hopefully
> > will keep adding) lots of tests for our formula implementation. It's
> > unfortunately a boring job but it's indeed quite essential.
>
> The OpenFormula SC is providing a testcase spreadsheet file for this
> as well, so there generally isn't much need to create our own tests -
> although having them can never hurt.

Having loads of auto-run unit test that test a LOT smaller chunks of code
than one big document does is infinitely more valuable.

For loads of reasons, really.
One quick example is that I refactored the lists data structure recently
and I had a memory access problem. Using valgrind on a unit test and one
or two classes instead of the full app shows the effect of this lot
smaller unit very well. It means that valgrind shows more to-the-point
results faster.

I applaud the efforts done in kspread :)
--
Thomas Zander