List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking ahead for further alpha releases
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2007-05-14 12:45:28

On Monday 14 May 2007, Casper Boemann wrote:
> On Monday 14 May 2007 14:00, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > The alpha will come 1-2 months apart after the first alpha. No real
> > > schedule except 2 months is the limit.
> >
> > You need to set dates. For two reasons : it gives a clear objective and
> > if you don't have a date
>
> Dates are set implicitly
>
> > > Alpha 4 being the
> > > decissive axing point (no later than christmas day). I hope we can all
> > > agree, because we really need to fire up the locomotive.
> >
> > Yes that's also why I think we need to set a release date. Look at how
> > much setting those dates have put KDE4 in motion toward a finished
> > product.
>
> what part of chirstmas day is hard to read ;)

It's too approximatives, I don't see how hard it is to say:

25 December freeze

25 Januray First RC

25 Februrary Targeted Release date

Even if I would preffer a targeted release two monthes earlier, and I would
like to know what would prevent it ?

> > > KPresenter:
> > >  - model/view overview/navigator of slides
> >
> > ^^
> > isn't it more important than animations ? (especially considering that
> > 99% of the presentations I see with animations, use "manual" animation)
>
> Order of items has nothing to do about priority. The items are just there
> to organize that apps are on track.
well in my opinion, animations can even be skipped to 2.1.

> > > Krita:
> > >  - ui overhaul
> >
> > ^^
> > all application needs that, and I quiet like the kde4 schedule on that
> > aspect, doing the UI review after the feature freeze.
>
> You cant change ui radically after freeze so that would be a bad time to do
> it
do we want to change ui radically ? More than radical change, it's little
details, like what should appears in the toolbar, or in the context menu, or
in the settings, and that is something all applications need.

> I think we have enough dates set for us to work hard.
alphas are only toy, the serious thing is the final release.

--
Cyrille Berger