List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking ahead for further alpha releases
From:       Casper Boemann <cbr () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2007-05-14 12:16:20

On Monday 14 May 2007 14:00, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > The alpha will come 1-2 months apart after the first alpha. No real
> > schedule except 2 months is the limit.
>
> You need to set dates. For two reasons : it gives a clear objective and if
> you don't have a date
Dates are set implicitly

> > Alpha 4 being the
> > decissive axing point (no later than christmas day). I hope we can all
> > agree, because we really need to fire up the locomotive.
> Yes that's also why I think we need to set a release date. Look at how much
> setting those dates have put KDE4 in motion toward a finished product.
what part of chirstmas day is hard to read ;)

> >  KWord
> >  - foot/end notes
> >  - collaborative editing
>
> ^^
> this is optional, really, especially that they are some issues that are
> currently not plan to be addressed by google summer of code, like conflict,
> and we can't release it with conflict.
Hmm right, but still it's set exactly here because this is the point where we
should decide wether it should be in or not.

> > KPresenter:
> >  - model/view overview/navigator of slides
>
> ^^
> isn't it more important than animations ? (especially considering that 99%
> of the presentations I see with animations, use "manual" animation)
Order of items has nothing to do about priority. The items are just there to
organize that apps are on track.

> > Krita:
> >  - ui overhaul
>
> ^^
> all application needs that, and I quiet like the kde4 schedule on that
> aspect, doing the UI review after the feature freeze.
You cant change ui radically after freeze so that would be a bad time to do it

> One last comment, the above list looks more like a feature wishlist, than a
> release plan. Release plan is about setting dates, and then it's up to each
> application to decide which features can make it in time for the date, and
> which one has to be dropped, and which one is more important etc...
No this is a release plan. We set 4 alpha releases to get ready, and set a
deadline of chistmas day for alpha4.

not setting dates for betas and RCs yet is hardly a problem since they wont
hold anyway. Lets focus on getting KOffice complete first, and then worry
about how many weeks we need to iron out bugs enough for us to release.

I think we have enough dates set for us to work hard.
--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann