List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking ahead for further alpha releases
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2007-05-14 12:00:27

Hi,

> Now that we are on track to our first alpha release, it's time to start
> thinking about the next alpha releases. There will be no freeze periods up
> to releases.
Good, it would be even better to start thinking about the final release :)

> The alpha will come 1-2 months apart after the first alpha. No real
> schedule except 2 months is the limit.
You need to set dates. For two reasons : it gives a clear objective and if you
don't have a date

> If an app doesn't comply with goals
> it's on a sure track to being axed from final release.
There are goal in your list I consider "optional", and axing an application
because of this sounds a bad idea :)

> Alpha 4 being the
> decissive axing point (no later than christmas day). I hope we can all
> agree, because we really need to fire up the locomotive.

Yes that's also why I think we need to set a release date. Look at how much
setting those dates have put KDE4 in motion toward a finished product.

> For alpha 1 (june 25) we have set no specific goals, except what you as a
> dev or maintainer find decent for a public appearence.
>
> ---------
> For alpha 2 we should raise the bar a little. This is the list:
> General:
>  - the shape selector should be done
>  - guides and autoguides should be back full spec (and with all shapes)
> KWord:
>  - (layout) Tabs work
> KSpread
>  - OpenFormula full spec
> KPresenter:
>  - page effects (animation)
>  - shape animation
>  - load/save of ODF stuff
> Kivio:
>  - full connector functionality
> KChart:
>  - done completely
> KFormula:
>  - shape, tool and fully working ui done
> Krita:
>  - selections working full spec
>  - printing and resolution done full spec
> Karbon:
>  - load/save of ODF stuff
>  - porting of all old path functions
> Kexi:
>  - compile all of kexi and develop main window
>
> --------
> For alpha 3 we raise the bar even further:
>  - pigment should be fully exported to all apps
>  KWord
>  - foot/end notes
>  - collaborative editing
^^
this is optional, really, especially that they are some issues that are
currently not plan to be addressed by google summer of code, like conflict,
and we can't release it with conflict.

> KPresenter:
>  - model/view overview/navigator of slides
^^
isn't it more important than animations ? (especially considering that 99% of
the presentations I see with animations, use "manual" animation)

>  - handouts and notes
> Kivio
>   - stencil manager
> KFormula:
>  - import filter for old format and ODF/MathML at least as good as in 1.6
>  - show alll MathML presentation elements
> Krita:
>  - ui overhaul
^^
all application needs that, and I quiet like the kde4 schedule on that aspect,
doing the UI review after the feature freeze.

>  - painterly infrastructure done
> Karbon:
>  - fix all filters
>

> -------
> For alpha 4 we need to comply with all release goals - Feature freeze.
> That means that everything should be here and working. Only bugs are
> allowed - (not wellcome). You cannot just add a feature halfway and expect
> to finish it off later.
That's sounds like a beta :D but that's really a detail.

> After this comes the betas and RCs, which we'll decide later
>
> This roadmap will be moved to the wiki soon, so we can polish it. I only
> did it like this to get the ball roling. If you have specific items that
> you want to correct please just wait until the wiki page is online. If you
> have general comments then please speak up.

One last comment, the above list looks more like a feature wishlist, than a
release plan. Release plan is about setting dates, and then it's up to each
application to decide which features can make it in time for the date, and
which one has to be dropped, and which one is more important etc...

--
Cyrille Berger