List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    ODF Weekend, brainstorm item.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-10 6:00:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

One item that comes up with regards to ODF is Enterprice Content
Management. This is (in practice) a group of applications that are
capable of indexing / revision manage and distribute documents for all
members of an enterprise. Typically implemented as a webapp.

These apps solve one issue adequately; the storage of ODF documents in a
content revision system. Including proper diffs and the like.

Now, I think these apps have a right to live, and I even think that when
2.0 is out we should actively contact companies that sell such solutions
to get better integration.

On the other hand I also believe that the solution is technically not a
very good one. It violates layers and it clearly brings out a weakness in
our applications.  The problem we have is that an ODF file is a zip file
of xml and binary content, and you can't really properly diff that.

There have been several suggestions to solve this, and all have their pros
and cons. I'd like us to brainstorm coming weekend about possible
solutions in KDE/KOffice that will help the user to accomplish this
elusive goal.

Possible solutions;
* save the content of the zip file as separate files into a dir.
Problem; creates a new filetype and makes it hard for the user to point
and click to load it again.

* save the zip file uncompressed.
Still requires smarter content revision management system as many will
still mark it as binary.

* Create a crm:/ kio slave.

* others?

--