List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: icons in koffice
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-04-20 19:50:05

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2007-04-20 18:13:

> On Friday 20 April 2007 16:18, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>>> Well, no. The KOffice icons are written on the koffice wiki.  I'm not
>>> sure why you copied the content to your own wiki,
>> It's the opposite - 'icon specs' have been synced by me with the
>> kexi-project.org wiki page, as a special 'global koffice icons'
>> category (see the history).
>>
>> On 29 March you have even copied images from the original site:
>> http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Icons/KOffice_wide_icons&diff=2
>> 236&oldid=2229 -- quite a lot work compared to just contacting me.
>
> I'm very confused about the allegation you make here;
> I never knew the kexi page existed and just continued working on the above
> linked one, including adding references to icons.

It's enough to look at the links, where the icons come from.

> Its a pity that work was done elsewhere already.  I would like to ask you
> to keep a much clearer communications channel open so we don't duplicate
> effort.

Indeed, but it's not easy to make you informed and included in the discussion,
-- e.g. in the "RFC: Db icons and mimetypes" thread where you already went
offtopic by discussing to "what ODF version is published and what is not".

>>> The point is that all koffice developers should have access to the
>>> page; and that's true on the koffice wiki.
>
> This point is still true; if you have an issue with that, please bring it
> up for discussion on this list. (preferably under a new thread)
>
>> Koffice wiki is not very usable as readonly for me.
>
> Hmm? What do you mean? I have seen a lot of edits by you, you have an
> account!
> If you have have any problems, please contact the admins.

Come on, Thomas, can you stop this official tone for everyday work?
Unfortunantely, there is "10:05, 16 March 2007 Zander .. changed group
membership for User:Jstaniek from KOffice to (none)"

in the log (4th row):

http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Special:Log&user=Zander

-what means that the site was 2 weeks readonly after your unexplained and
silent action. If you have problems with administering, feel free to ask more
experienced people for help (I've helped you and techbase folks not a single
time) and rather perform tests on inactive accounts.

>> There are two things missing for now:
>> * a page informing about clear rules for contents of the koffice wiki
>
> What is wrong with the text on the intro page?
>  "This wiki is provided for KOffice developers to be a digital whiteboard
> where people can exchange notes, work on problems together and basically
> be productive. It is allowed, no encouraged, to put the apps (future)
> feature lists, TODO lists, designers talk and past discussions on these
> pages."

So since it's also about having context (e.g. past discussions, 'see also'
links) how about not removing past disscusions (unless authors decide
otherwise), like these provided as links to Kexi wiki. It may be not usable
for you but it's an everyday tool for me and others. It's hard to
<quote>exchange notes</quote> wihout ability to using links to other sources
of information.

To have a reasonable conclusion, can we assume every page has an 'owner' and
more important changes to the text are proposed on 'Discussion' subpage? (do
not ask me for use case, just compare to Wikipedia)

That said, since there is a dedicated kexi wiki (it's development has been
wiki-based for years from the very beginning, even much earlier than oo.org),
I try to treat koffice wiki as a place for sharing written knowledge and
documenting discussions for kolibs and cross-application tasks. Development of
other apps have no such extensive usage of wiki, so it's obvious these are
hosted on shared wiki (eventually, it's much better than nothing).

>> * a license - CC is not acceptable
>
> The license is on the bottom of every page; if you have a question on how
> to work with that, please open a constructive dialog instead of stating
> its unacceptable. That would be much appreciated.

As I said, there are reasons I mentioned in my original post-

"all the docs (user, developer) are in GFDL; sometimes wiki text I write
eventually end up in web or printed documentation that's GFDL licensed"

- but I will not bring a lawyer here: my proposal is GFDL. Dual license:
GFDL+CC could be useful option too.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek