List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Shapes and Tools
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-08-17 10:36:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 August 2006 11:40, Jan Hambrecht wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I yesterday started to work on a path tool to edit a KoPathShape. I
> stumbled across some things that are unclear, at least to me.
>
> Currently the path shape is part of the flake lib and is manually
> registered (along with the KoRectangleShape) within the
> KoShapeRegistry. On the other hand there is a shapes directory in
> koffice/ which currently contains the regular polygon shape. The
> question i have is, do we want _all_ shapes to reside in that directory
> and loaded dynamically, or do we want some shapes be a fixed part of
> the flake lib.

I am unsure why Thorsten editted the path shape in the flake directory
directly, then again, having the path shape available per definition
seems like a good idea to me.
Note that the rectShape should be deleted shortly.

So, the exception is the PathShape (and tool), but all others should be
moved to /shapes IMO.
The TextShape may end up there as well.

> Another problem is with registering the tool factory of the KoPathTool.

A tool and a shape technically can be shipped as two plugins. Which means
each can have a lib-loading method to add it to the factory.

> I looked at the text shape, which does it manually in the ctor of the
> KoTextShapeFactory.

Right, its probably too slow to have separate plugins, so just doing it
like this seems like a good idea IMO.

> After doing that i noticed that it adds a dependcy
> to kofficeui (coming from KoToolRegistry ) and thus a circular dependcy
> as kofficeui depends also on the flake lib. So i propose to move the
> KoToolRegistry to kofficecore.

Well, the PathShape is never loaded as a plugin, so this trick is not
needed. All you need to do is add a similar trick in the ToolRegistry
that loads your tool by default.

--
Thomas Zander