List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Registries
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-10 6:07:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 9 June 2006 23:26, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Benchmark if you wish, but from experience I'm quite sure that
>
> 100? If its more then 20, I'd be surprised.  Only Krita is heavy on
> plugins.

Thinking a bit longer about it;
we should have a combination of one shape and (at least) one tool in a
plugin that gives us
1) formula shape
2) vector path shape
3) text shape
4) chart chape
5) kivio shape
6) kplato project shape
7) krita image shape(s)

Thats it, I doubt kpresenter is a provider of shapes, it will just consume
them.

So, in the current setup we dlopen 7 libraries for all application but
krita (that has a lot more plugins).
The proposal is to split things up and load on demand.  But we have to
split things up into more libraries and add a lot of complexity at least
in the toolbox.

So, realisticly; how many seconds extra does it take for an application to
start and dlopen 7 libraries upon start?
With krita starting in < 2 sec I can't believe its more then one second.

Now you see why I talked about it being premature optimization?
--
Thomas Zander