List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Collaborative editing / Versionning for koffice
From:       Fredrik Edemar <f_edemar () linux ! se>
Date:       2006-06-10 2:20:23

måndag 29 maj 2006 22:46 skrev Cyrille Berger:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to start a discution about adding collaborative editing/versionning
> in KOffice 2.x (note that x might be x >=1, but I had rather have x=0 even
> if it's not feature complete and supported by all apps). As those two
> features are closely related, I do think that we can provide support for
> both of them at the same time. (And with the design about which I am
> thinking we might even get some sort of ressource server for free ;) )
>
> ** Versionning
> Versionning is part of proposed google soc, so I will let the student take
> care of it, but there is a lot in common between versionning and
> collaborative.
> ** Collaborative editing
> The collaborative edition will need a small server, and I see at least two
> use case, one involving working on a single document, and the other one
> need collaboration between all koffice applications.

What I had in mind was to store all versions in one file. In that way we don't
need a resource server which IMHO is too hard for an average user to setup.

By using KDirWatch the program gets a signal when the document has changed and
to see the changes we compare the difference between the document in primary
memory and the hard drive. For network usage, the file can be stored in a
NFS-mounted directory and in that way get notified when someone changes the
file.
--
Kind regards
Fredrik Edemar