List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Collaborative editing / Versionning for koffice
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-30 11:30:09

The GNOME Journal article is very interesting.  It seems like AbiWordalready had a \
rather nifty structure under the bonnet for handlingchanges to the document.  Every \
change to the document is internallyexpressed as an instance of a "ChangeRecord" \
class.  For collaborativeediting purposes, all that needs to happen is for the \
ChangeRecord tobe serialised over a network to other users working on the document \
-solving the diff problem. A similar framework was introduced in KSpread in the 1.5 \
release (byStefan IIRC), although it isn't used everywhere yet. On 30/05/06, Børre \
Gaup <boerre@skolelinux.no> wrote:> Maŋ, miessemánu 30. b. 2006 08.20, Boudewijn \
Rempt čálii:> > On Tuesday 30 May 2006 01:43, Robert Knight wrote:> > > Whatever we \
do, I think we should aim to keep it fairly simple, and> > > make sure that it gets \
used.> >> > Let's see... From my personal experience, there are two levels of> > \
collaborative editing that are interesting:> >> > * change management _in_ the \
document, where it's possible to discover who> > did what. For instance, I once wrote \
an article for oreilly.net together> > with a co-author. We used OO (version 1) and \
the editor used Word. Changes> > were visible in the document and could be attributed \
to the responsible> > party. This is very useful in many circumstances. It's also \
part of> > Fredrik's SoC project for KWord. We just need to make sure that Fredrik's> \