List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Collaborative editing / Versionning for koffice
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2006-05-30 10:43:10

> Use case:
> Anton and Bernard are talking in a kopete window and discussing a list of
> people to invite to a party.  After some 10 names have been called Anton
> states he is going to move the conversation to a spreadsheet instead.
> Anton starts editing in kspread and [somehow] connects to Bernard who will
> see a kspread being started with the document A. made.
That some kind of server, image Bernard call Peter on the phone (very old
fashion but still very used in real life) and ask him to help them editing
the list, he would have to give to his friend his computer name,

> Your "multi-document work and sharing" has little to do with collaborative
> editing. I don't think it fits or should be considered in the design.
> Reason for this is that the workflow used when preparing different parts
> of a document is such that they end up being sent after the work is done,
> and only when the artist is done will it be interresting for the writer
> to see the work.
> With KWord already being able to use external resources (an image can be
> an external file instead of an embedded one) and the upcoming booklet
> mode (where different chapters are different files) this is even more
> true.
> This is a sole versioning problem; not a collaborative editing problem.
Well I disagree, and agree at the same time, versionning and collaborative are
the same problem. Even if my "multi-document work and sharing" doesn't seem
to need design, the ressource has to be share through the same channel as the
colaboration around a single document, I mean, imagine now that Anton and
Bernard want to add the pictures of the guys they are invinting, and each of
them has half of the pictures of there friends, the missing pictures must be
exchanged automaticaly too.

And second point about this, imagine that you have to make a presentation
about something and written report at the same time, and that you want to
keep the same structure in your presentation and in the report, you will want
to update the title from the report into the presentation, that's an other
illustration of multi-document collaboration.

> So; i agree with Robert that you went to the details waaaay to fast.
There wasn't that much details, and there was too workflow, but only one was
read...
--
--- Cyrille Berger ---