List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Dokumentation updates
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-15?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2006-05-25 8:13:21

Am Mittwoch, 24. Mai 2006 20:33 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> On Wednesday 24 May 2006 16:17, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > > Thomas:
> > > In KOffice you can commit to 1.6 and trunk; all other branches are
> > > string frozen, including the 1.5 one.
> >
> > Its useless to commit doc updates to 1.6, as scripty is not working
> > there, so we will get no translated documentations.
>
> The release managers for 1.6 will have to set a point in time to forward
> all translations to 1.6 and start pointing scripty there.  Its not anyway
> near a strings freeze so its not really needed right now; but the need
> will surely come. Therefor its not useless at all.

Better commit to trunk now, the top teams will start to translate and generate
new docbooks in their languages and find possible errors in the english
docbboks. These errors can be fixed now. In 1.6 without scripty this doesn't
work.
When its time for 1.6, backport the already corrrected docs from trunk.

> > But for kde 3.5 I will start a RFC on kde-i18n-doc for a short
> > documentation unfreeze at the end of this week, if this goes well, same
> > procedure for koffice 1.5 one week later,
>
> Naturally you can suggest that; but this will double the work for the
> translations teams (as I don't think everyone will be ready translating
> after 1 week).

I don't want to backport big changes in the docs (like 20 new pages for
krita).
Just the same what you do with the code in 1.5: Bug fixes for the docs (wrong
names of guiitem, add missing items, remove no longer exsisting items, wrong
shortcuts, fix wrong description of the application etc). Everything
confusing our users. So far this are just a few hundred changed lines in the
koffice docbooks.

The first three teames in trunk have finished the translation of my bugfixed
3.5 docbooks for the possible backport to stable in less than two days. Even
if other members of the docteam have some additional docbooks for this
backport, this will be done in short time.
And I know what I am talking about, because I am the doc translator in the
german team maintaining kdeaccess, kdeaddons, part of kdeedu, kdegames,
kdegraphics and at the moment I try to translate our koffice docu which has
actually no maintainer in the team :-(

> This will also mean that the 1.5.2 which we intend to release quite soon
> will have a lot less docs translated than the 1.5.1.

No, No, No!
Thomas, sorry to say, but you really dont know, how doc translation and doc
translaters work. You never loose an existing doc translation, that's totally
different from gui translation.
For the docs you only can win, but never loose.

Did you ever had a look at the stats on l10n.kde.org/stats/doc? stable not
trunk, because that's what the distributors use and what most of our users
will see.
Abour 4 teams near 100 % translation of the docs, about 7 teams with more than
50 % translated docs and the next 5 teams with more than 10 % translated
docs (whole kde, not only koffice).

Compare this to the stats in trunk, and you see, that beside the top 4 teams
the teams with an essential portion of translated docs work like we do in the
german team because of lack of manpower:
For a x.0 release bring the gui translation to 100% (you need a translated gui
to translate the docs), then work on the doc translation in the minor
releases.

So bugfixes for the docs in minor releases will not really affect the number
of translated documentations:
- the top teams with already translated docs for a x.0 release have the power
to translate the minor changes in short time
- the next maybe 10 teams just working on doc translation:
every finished translation of the old docs with generated language docbooks
from the x.0 release is not affected (they don't loose them by the
documenation update).
For the translations, they just want to start they get up to date templates
with less errors
- the teams not working on doc translation are not affected und they still
release their old and outdated existing doc translations, if there are any.

You only win: most of the doc translations will have less errors.

But please ask on kde-i18n.doc, what to do, let the translators decide it.

> No, I really do think we should have new docs on 1.6.

Yes, new docs and big changes in existing docs only in major releases.

Burkhard Lück