List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flake design
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-15 8:51:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

In KWord I decided upon the following;

I have a class KWFrameViewManager which is per view and contains all
frames there are. (in the form of KWFrameView instances).
This manager has some slots to make sure it gets notified if a frame is
moved.  The result of this is that it is able to have a cache internally
based on the Y coordinate of the frame.  This does not exactly have to be
per page since that will take too much memory.

In another project I just build a tree with a predefined depth of 2 and a
predefined leaf-count of 1000. Worked very fast :)  But thats
implementation details...

So, if flake objects, like frames, have a Y coordinate then building an
internal cache to make lookup fast I feel that you get the advantage of
having one object which means less code to manage the objects as well as
the speed you notice might be a problem if you get many objects.

In other words; I agree with Boudewijn here since you end up creating and
managing the object-manager.  And you will agree that having a manager to
manage the object-managers seems a bit silly :)

--
Thomas Zander