List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: document -> workbook
From:       Martin Ellis <m.a.ellis () ncl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-11-16 17:04:23

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 16:08, Thomas Zander wrote:> On Wednesday 16 November \
2005 15:42, Robert Knight wrote:> > Ignore the dictionary definition, I am interested \
in how people use> > the term in everyday language.   People don't say "Word \
Document",> > "Excel Document", "PowerPoint Document", they say "Word Document",> > \
"Excel Spreadsheet", "PowerPoint Presentation".>> I'm not sure where you live; but it \
seems to me you are making assumptions> based on what people around you are saying. \
Right, perhaps we should use language that nobody uses.Perhaps we should change \
"Print" to "Produce Hardcopy".
> microsoft conditioning can be completely absent, for example.
Microsoft conditioning is irrelevant.  Robert used it above because most people use \
MS Office, if they use any office package.  Are you saying that if everyone used \
OpenOffice, they would say "Calc Document" and not "Calc Spreadsheet"? Sorry, I don't \
buy that at all.
> Stepping away from dictionairy definitions is therefor a very bad idea.
He is not stepping away from the dictionary definitionYou are.  Let me explain step \
by step: These definitions pertain to proofs and evidence and are irrelevant.> 1 a \
archaic : PROOF, EVIDENCE > b : an original or official paper relied on as the basis, \
proof, or support > of something > c : something (as a photograph or a recording) \
that serves as evidence or > proof  The following requires that a document convey \
information.  Art works generally portray no information, so we can disregard this \
for Krita documents:> 2 a : a writing conveying information This talks of \
conventional marks and symbols.  We don't require that people produce only \
conventional art with Krita.> b : a material substance (as a coin or stone) having on \
it a representation > of thoughts by means of some conventional mark or symbol This \
also requires that a document convey information.> Collins: (my paper \
dict/thesaurus)> piece of paper, booklet, etc providing information, esp. of an \
official> nature This too:> webster:> a : a writing conveying information
This definition requires that it has conventional marks:> b : a material substance \
(as a coin or stone) having on it a representation > of thoughts by means of some \
conventional mark or symbol

To be honest, if you're really want to opt for "Document" because it's too much \
effort to change, and you buy into the idea that it is more user-friendly than "File" \
then I'm not that bothered.  But please, your argument above is just fallacious. \