List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread: document -> workbook
From:       Robert Knight <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-16 16:45:56

> Next; a kspread workbook can't be embedded; just one sheet can be
> (arguably), so should we change the naming of the embedding UI?

You can embed a KSpread Workbook, it just happens that only one sheet
is visible at a time.  The case for presentations is similar.

> I'm not sure where you live; but it seems to me you are making assumptions
> based on what people around you are saying.  Remember that KOffice is an
> application that will be used in all locales and all countries and
> microsoft conditioning can be completely absent, for example.

This is something that can be addressed in the translation.  I imagine
that having a single phrase for "Document Information" is
inappropriate in other languages besides English.  If a single phrase
would be more appropriate then the translators can still do that.  In
fact, I think that alone is a good argument - it gives the translators
more flexibility.

When I design UIs in other applications I try to choose phrases that
are easy to understand and difficult to misinterpret.  I was certainly
confused about the difference between "Protect Sheet" and "Protect
Document".  As Martin points out, right-clicking on a Krita image in a
KSpread document would show the text "Delete Embedded Document" which
struck me as incorrect.