List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    API enhancement: Selecting area to chart in a KSpread sheet.
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2005-11-13 15:46:17

When the user creates a chart in KSpread, he (or she) starts by selecting the
cells containing the data to be charted.  When the chart is created, this
data is copied (i.e. the values are copied) to the chart and is given to the
chart through the API in koffice/interfaces/koChart.h.

After the chart is created, this area can never be changed! The only way to
"change" it, is to delete the chart, and create a new one with the new area.
This is a real problem, so I want to fix it for 1.5.

What I want to be able to do is (at least):
 - Insert rows or columns into the data area, and have the chart change on it.
 - When configuring the embedded chart, I want to have a text entry with the
caption "data area" or so, that I can enter things like "Sheet1.A1:C10" and
have the chart updated if this area is changed.

The second case is tricky, because it demands that the embedded document (the
chart) can communicate data upwards to the embedding document (the
spreadsheet). The current API supports changing data area from the
spreadsheet (or whatever embedding program), but not the other way around.

I have thought about this, but not been able to come up with anything clean.
Can somebody else come up with something workable?

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |