List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Adding a README.packagers to koffice
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2005-11-13 10:21:34

Hello,

Now that we have move kross to kolobs, there is the problem of dependency :
> SVN commit 480076 by sebsauer:
>
> Finally moved Kross to kolibs as discussed some days ago at koffice-devel.
> (...)

I understand that this is not our job to split kolibs, or even to manage
dependency, but I think we are in the best position to give hint to
packagers.

* Why it is more important now than before ?
Well with kross in kolibs, if the packager is not aware, he will make kolibs
have a dependency with python and ruby (and maybe more in the future) while
kross is able to detect at runtime if python or ruby or both are available.

So it would be best to have :
libkoffice-kross
libkoffice-kross-pyhon
libkoffice-kross-ruby
libkoffice-kformula (already available as a seperate package in some
distributions, but also as a mandatory package for all koffice applications)
libkoffice-koscript
libkoffice-core for the others part of koffice which are use by all
applications

And in the future, intend to have kexidb in kolibs which would again increase
the complexity of a monolithic kolibs.

And each application will tell on which part of kolibs they depends, and may
suggest package spliting. I mean, for instance, if splitting krita in a
package for each plugins is pointless, it might good to have
krita-plugins-scripting which would be suggest but not install by default.

* Why in a README.packagers ?
Well annma told me that packagers prefferd to have a README.packagers than
having a web page.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---