List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Crash bugs in KOffice
From:       Alan Horkan <horkana () maths ! tcd ! ie>
Date:       2005-10-18 18:58:18

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, David Faure wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:01:50 +0200
> From: David Faure <faure@kde.org>
> To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@kde.org>
> Subject: Re: Crash bugs in KOffice
>
> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 00:12, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Monday 17 October 2005 23:43, Martin Ellis wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, I don't think it would be (although, I have no evidence to base
> > > that opinion that on, what-so-ever).  It's not like I import so frequently
> > > that performance is a huge issue.
> > >
> > > Someone with clue, please advise.
> >
> > People who use word files will probably use nothing but word files, and then
> > it gets importantish
>
> But I disagree that it makes any sense to spend time on "the filter
> crashes but the app doesn't". Most people open .doc files they get from
> kmail (or from konq, or whatever), so this launches a new kword process,
> which might crash, that's fine; they didn't just type a book without
> autosaving enabled in it.
>
> Let's prevent filters from crashing in the first place,

I get what you are saying but I think history proves that filter crashes
happen even to the best of programmers and idealism wont help users who
have not saved all documents before opening another document which crashes
their application.  I wish I could be as optimistic as you.

Also as a user who is often stuck with whatever version of KOffice the
admistrator has seen fit to provide fixes take an extremely long time to
arrive, whereas developers tend to be running the latest and greatest
versions.

> instead of making everything slower

do we even know if the performance difference is signficant?

> in the common case to avoid a crash in the rare case - but the user
> doesn't gain much from kword not crashing, if kword can't read the .doc
> file anyway. You get an error dialog instead of a crash dialog - big
> deal.

Data loss is a big deal and I do not think it is reasonable to expect
users will have saved all their work before opening another document.

> Apps can crash too, and we can't do any global crash-prevention blanket
> for that case,

Abiword has a feature which in the event of a crash writes out the current
document to a file.  As I recall there were some issues with running it
and bug-buddy so similarly it might not be something koffice could do at
the same time as crash analyis dialog.

- Alan