List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Crash bugs in KOffice
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-18 9:01:50

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 00:12, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Monday 17 October 2005 23:43, Martin Ellis wrote:
>
> > Personally, I don't think it would be (although, I have no evidence to base
> > that opinion that on, what-so-ever).  It's not like I import so frequently
> > that performance is a huge issue.
> >
> > Someone with clue, please advise.
>
> People who use word files will probably use nothing but word files, and then
> it gets importantish

But I disagree that it makes any sense to spend time on "the filter crashes but the
app doesn't".
Most people open .doc files they get from kmail (or from konq, or whatever),
so this launches a new kword process, which might crash, that's fine; they didn't
just type a book without autosaving enabled in it.

Let's prevent filters from crashing in the first place, instead of making everything
slower in the common case to avoid a crash in the rare case - but the user doesn't
gain much from kword not crashing, if kword can't read the .doc file anyway.
You get an error dialog instead of a crash dialog - big deal.

Apps can crash too, and we can't do any global crash-prevention blanket for
that case, so I don't see the point in doing it in the filter case. And I haven't
seen so many filter crashes anyway - not since we use wv2; the old msword
filter used to crash a lot.