List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Microsoft Office 12: new user interface
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-23 16:56:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 23 September 2005 03:19, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> Any comments on the new Office 12 user interface? Video about it is
> available http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=114720, it's
> definitely worth to check. See also the related blog:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/

of course you know this, but ... MS is using these videos and blogs to try and
put a human face on their products. this is something that we in the OSS
community tend to respond favourably to. having watched a number of these
videos i've noticed a number of very slick production techniques they are
using to spread the official MS messaging as if it were a personal message.

i think there is more to learn here marketing wise than there is
technologically: the actual things they are showing off are interesting at
best, but the false humanist approach is amazingly cunning.

that said, i'm downloading the video now and will watch it later. i'm
skeptical as to the tabs-replace-menubar thing as being so great; it probably
gives larger targets and integrates the actions better witth the app, but
it's an incremental improvement IMHO and may turn out to be less than that.

--
Aaron J. Seigo