List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Kexi Database 0.8 quick notes and suggestions.
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2005-07-10 22:41:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Sunday 10 July 2005 00:32, Alan Horkan wrote:
>> kexi 0.8 has File, Close Project and Window, Close, neither seems to
>> use the standard Action or have the shortcut Ctrl+W, would probably be
>> best to have one standard close item in the File menu.
>
> Did you tell the kexi developers about this?

The idea to post these usability studies here comes from me, as we want to
make certain issues more public.

> I'm pretty sure that
> following the styleguide does not need a discussion on this list :)

More detailed investigation is needed. All confuction can be related to fact
that Kexi:
- does into use Koffice's  main window
- inherits some actions from KMDI (the original one,
   not the current castrated KMdi)
- 'File' menu means in fact 'Project' menu; we even have had it named
'Project' but for usability reasons we reverted to 'File'.

> In other words; its a bug if they don't have these items.
> I can't run kexi (don't have a database, so it does not compile)

If there's any unknown bug, let me know... Since beginning, Kexi does not
force you to have installed anything except kdelibs. Kexi _contains_ database
server (SQLite). A warning you can read at configure stage is... just a
friendly warning.

>> Would also be
>> good if to have shortcut for "Close All Ctrl+Shift+W" (even as a
>> standard for all of Koffice.)
> Close All is a file entry that should not be used, as has been discussed
> on this list many times.

It's not Kexi's custom action. KMDI library gives us "Close all" action in
Window menu for free...

I will soon add more hints here for remaining problems reported by Alan.
--
regards / pozdrawiam,
 Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska