List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Font dialog
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-06 8:13:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 6 June 2005 00:29, pierre.stirnweiss_koffice@gadz.org wrote:
> Ok, I think I have not made myself clear enough. On using KWord I was a
> bit puzzled by the fact one could set sub/super and an offset from
> baseline and that they were additive (the exact offset of a text with
> subscript plus offset of 4 is unknown to the user). I think it would be
> more logical that sub/super would set a preset default value, and that
> "manual" offset and relative size would be for a "custom" text position.

I don't follow; are you saying that as soon as I enable sub/super script the
offset-spinbox should be altered?
The whole idea of sub/superscript is to do that automatically, otherwise we
could just have left them out and enabled the "relative size" spinbox by
default.

No, the checkbox of sub/superscript should imply an offset unknown to the
user.

> > Hmm, strange. We can definitely draw text with an offset even if it's
> > not subscript/superscript, the painting code handles it; so why not
> > allow it... Ah, save() is for OASIS, not for old XML. I think this is
> > simply a bug in KoTextFormat::save(). OK if I fix it to save the offset
> > there?
>
> Yes but if I read the OASIS spec right, the offset can be either
> sub/super or a % value. So setting sub/super and an offset value will not
> be able to be saved in an OASIS file format (one has to drop either the
> sub/super or the value).

That actually makes sense from a user perspective; a user chooses from sub,-
superscript or manual offset. Not any combination at the same time.
I suggest to alter the GUI to reflect that.

> sub/super button would set a predefined value (without the
> possibility of changing them) and that "manually" set values would belong
> to a "custom" text position.

Sounds good; just make sure the spinbox is disabled and filled with 0 when
you click on the sub or superscript options (which should naturally be
radiobuttons, not checkboxes acting like radiobuttons)

If in doubt; I can create a designer UI to show what I mean, if you are
willing to work on that.
--
Thomas Zander