List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Font dialog
From:       pierre.stirnweiss_koffice () gadz ! org
Date:       2005-06-05 20:28:56

Ok, I think I have not made myself clear enough. On using KWord I was a bit
puzzled by the fact one could set sub/super and an offset from baseline and
that they were additive (the exact offset of a text with subscript plus
offset of 4 is unknown to the user). I think it would be more logical that
sub/super would set a preset default value, and that "manual" offset and
relative size would be for a "custom" text position.

On Sunday 05 June 2005 20:03, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 22:46, pierre.stirnweiss_koffice@gadz.org wrote:
> > - offset = 0 if subscript or superscript is checked. apparently
> > KoTextFormat::save is dropping sub or super if offset != 0 anyway.
>
> Hmm, strange. We can definitely draw text with an offset even if it's not
> subscript/superscript, the painting code handles it; so why not allow it...
> Ah, save() is for OASIS, not for old XML. I think this is simply a bug in
> KoTextFormat::save(). OK if I fix it to save the offset there?

Yes but if I read the OASIS spec right, the offset can be either sub/super or
a % value. So setting sub/super and an offset value will not be able to be
saved in an OASIS file format (one has to drop either the sub/super or the
value).

> > - relative text size is fixed in case of sub/super, This is the main
> > getting item: if we load a document (OOo for example) with text-pos =
> > "super 58%" (legal according to OASIS) we can either drop the 58% and use
> > the normal 66%, which is no good, or convert it to Custom but then we do
> > not keep the document intact on save again (not good either).
>
> I don't follow.
> I see that we can load and save "super 58%" correctly, by setting
> AlignSuper and relativetextsize=0.58, are you sure we can't handle it? Or
> is that only a GUI issue?

This is the problem I have with what I had in mind (not with the current
dialog) : sub/super button would set a predefined value (without the
possibility of changing them) and that "manually" set values would belong to
a "custom" text position.

Pierre