List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Font dialog
From:       pierre.stirnweiss_koffice () gadz ! org
Date:       2005-06-06 8:40:06

On Monday 06 June 2005 08:13, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 6 June 2005 00:29, pierre.stirnweiss_koffice@gadz.org wrote:
> > Ok, I think I have not made myself clear enough. On using KWord I was a
> > bit puzzled by the fact one could set sub/super and an offset from
> > baseline and that they were additive (the exact offset of a text with
> > subscript plus offset of 4 is unknown to the user). I think it would be
> > more logical that sub/super would set a preset default value, and that
> > "manual" offset and relative size would be for a "custom" text position.
>
> I don't follow; are you saying that as soon as I enable sub/super script
> the offset-spinbox should be altered?
> The whole idea of sub/superscript is to do that automatically, otherwise we
> could just have left them out and enabled the "relative size" spinbox by
> default.
>
> No, the checkbox of sub/superscript should imply an offset unknown to the
> user.

No the problem is that when you click on subscript or superscript, you are
still able to add an offset from that spin box. To my mind that spin box
should be only enabled in a "custom" setting. What I meant is that the
current GUI is IMHO not coherent: you have a "subscript" button to set a
default value if you want a quick (or simple) action and you have a spinbox
to set a "manual" offset for advanced precise placement. The problem is that
they are additive and linked together.

> > > Hmm, strange. We can definitely draw text with an offset even if it's
> > > not subscript/superscript, the painting code handles it; so why not
> > > allow it... Ah, save() is for OASIS, not for old XML. I think this is
> > > simply a bug in KoTextFormat::save(). OK if I fix it to save the offset
> > > there?
> >
> > Yes but if I read the OASIS spec right, the offset can be either
> > sub/super or a % value. So setting sub/super and an offset value will not
> > be able to be saved in an OASIS file format (one has to drop either the
> > sub/super or the value).
>
> That actually makes sense from a user perspective; a user chooses from
> sub,- superscript or manual offset. Not any combination at the same time. I
> suggest to alter the GUI to reflect that.

This is exactly what I am doing. My problem is not with position itself but
with relative size. To my mind, it should follow the same logic. ie:
sub/super will set a default value that you cannot change and "custom" will
allow you to tweak it with the spinbox.
But then you have the problem of OASIS which allows "super 58%". If the
default value for superscript is 66%. You either have to change 58% size to
66% (to respect the superscript default) or modify super to a actual % figure
(as in a "custom text position"), but then you modify the original intention
of the user.

> > sub/super button would set a predefined value (without the
> > possibility of changing them) and that "manually" set values would belong
> > to a "custom" text position.
>
> Sounds good; just make sure the spinbox is disabled and filled with 0 when
> you click on the sub or superscript options (which should naturally be
> radiobuttons, not checkboxes acting like radiobuttons)

Yes this is what I have: Normal, Subscript, Superscript, Custom radio buttons.

> If in doubt; I can create a designer UI to show what I mean, if you are
> willing to work on that.

I already have all ui files for the entire font dialog plus the coding behind.
I even have a font dialog preview that preview every visual settings (font,
size, color, shadow, underline...).
I just want to tweak this particular behavior to an acceptable standard before
submitting the whole thing for approbation.

Pierre