List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: How to debug spellchecking in KWord
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-02-10 17:58:04

On Thursday 10 February 2005 15:34, Mashrab Kuvatov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to fix, at least to find out what's wrong, bug #87250.
> For that I would like to to debug the way KWord spellchecks. So, I
> have checked out KOffice code from CVS HEAD, commented out #ifdef
> DEBUG_SPELL lines in lib/kotext/kospell.cc and compiled.
>
> When I start kword from command line I'm supposed to see things
> like
>
> kdDebug()<<"XXXXX WORD IS " << w.word << ", pos = "<< pos
>              << ", start = "<< w.start <<endl;
>
> from kospell.cc, right? I do not see such an output. What am I
> doing wrong? Can anyone help me to debug kword spellchecking? What
> file shell I change?
>
> Thanks,
> Mashrab.
>
> PS. Please CC me, I'm not in the list.

Hi Mashrab,

hmm... could be difficult to tell, but it might be possible that the
wrong libraries get loaded? This particularly could apply if you have
both, a stable version installed AS WELL AS KOffice head - in two
different locations(!) If you want to run the KOffice head version
you MUST make sure that this library gets loaded - otherwise the
libraries of the already installed version gets used and that one of
course does NOT include your debugging code...

A little crash course in library loading:
do a `cat /etc/ld.so.conf`
All the paths given there are searched for libraries if they are
required. The list of paths is searched from top to bottom, the first
library with the correct name gets loaded. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used
BEFORE any entry in /etc/ld.so.conf, this is useful because it lets
you use different library paths without having to
edit /etc/ld.so.conf each time.
And by the way: IF you edit /etc/ld.so.conf one day, just make sure
you call "ldconfig" so the /etc/ld.so.cache gets updated, this is
what is used for lookup actually. Calling "ldconfig" is also
important if you install new libraries manually.

Hope this helps a bit,
Raphael