List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kspread toolbar simplification
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-02-03 12:17:57

Hi there...

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 07:22, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> Halo all,
>
> For KOffice 1.4, I'd like to proprose the following simplification
> of KSpread's toolbar. Unless stated, the reason for removing the
> buttons is because likely they are not much used and therefore we
> can't justify them being in the toolbar (remember that experienced
> users can still customize the toolbar). Of course, this based on my
> (limited) experience and observation, so feel free to disagree.
>
> For the edit toolbar, some buttons should be gone, namely Insert
> Row, Delete Row, Insert Column, Delete Column, Insert Object, and
> Rotate.

... I would leave insert object, it's a common KOffice feature, not
sure abour rotate/transform though... uhm... I can't get rid of that
window(bug??). The rest is (IMHO) ok to be removed.

> The math toolbar should be removed all together. Autosum function
> should be moved to edit toolbar, Insert Math Expression can be
> placed in the formula bar (next to the content editor).

hmm.. ok.

> For the format toolbar, Font Color can be moved to the
> color/borders toolbar. Also the vertical alignment buttons (Align
> Top, Align Middle, Align Bottom) should be either removed and
> placed as last buttons.

I would be happy to have the vertical alignment buttons in the
toolbars (including text wrap), IMHO. Moving Font Color is OK.

> In the color/borders toolbar, Merge Cell and Unmerge Cell should be
> moved to format toolbar. This toolbar is hidden by default, and
> IMHO cell merging and unmerging do not belong here.

Agree. Merge/Unmerge are shown by default then? (I would agree here as
well.)

> Last but not least, I don't know much about the usefulness of the
> navigation toolbar (it is hidden by default). Most users probably
> will switch between the worksheets using the tab bar at the lower
> left corner anyway.

hmm... I must admit I never used it so far as well, but still I think
it could be useful. It probably doesn't hurt to leave it. But I
wouldn't disagree if you would like to remove it.

> Feedback and suggestions are welcomed.

further suggestions:

Remove the increase/decrease indentation buttons by default.

What about the increase/decrease precision? I don't use them much
(neither the currency nor the percentage buttons). But I don't deal a
lot with money in spreadsheets, so they might be useful for others.

> Best regards,
>
> Ariya Hidayat

Just as Tomas, I'm no usability expert as well ;) so these are just my
thoughts on that subject.

Regards,
Raphael