List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Wish 73454: merge celles should center text
From:       Marc Heyvaert <marc_heyvaert () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-11-06 16:32:34

Inge,

--- Inge Wallin <inge@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Well, I can't, but if neither Star Office, nor Open
> Office *or* Excel does
> it, I don't think that KOffice should.

Example 1 : Title above a table. You could implement
this by having the title in the first cell, but it is
nicer if you merge all the cells in the top row. The
title could be in the middle, but you may decide to
keep it left aligned.

Example 2 : table with financial data, categories in
the first column, subcategories in the second column.
The main categories could be larger than the column so
that you get a title/subtitle effect. Something like
this :

A rather long title in a merged cell
[an empty cell]1.subtitle    [data cell][data cell]
[an empty cell]2.subtitle    [data cell][data cell]
[an empty cell]3.subtitle    [data cell][data cell]

Another long title in a merged cell
[an empty cell]1.subtitle    [data cell][data cell]

etc.

So again no need for alignment centered.

Regards

Marc

P.S. Personally I would get rid of the merged cells in KSpread.