List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Character style ui : let me know what you think
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-27 8:36:21

On Friday 27 August 2004 10:26, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
> Question is: is it possible to include these types of options there?
Everything's possible, with enough time and effort :-)
Those options are not on my todo-list though.

> >> This is already planned. You can see in every tab a Frame (it is still
> >gray)
> >> at the bottom of it. It is the space reserved for the Preview.
> >Nice! But maybe it should simply be under the tabwidget, i.e. only one
> >preview widget instead of one per tab. That would avoid the visual effect
> >of the preview area "jumping around" when switching tabs, and it would make
> >it clear that the formatting of the text in the preview follows the settings
> >of _all_ tabs, not just the current one.
>
> Yes, this was my first idea. Then looking at the different apps in KOffice,
> I realised that KWord roughly= KPresenter. KSpread uses the Font chooser
> + underline + strikethrough + font color but totally reimplement it with
> a totally different GUI...
Yes (well kword and kpresenter also extend the fontchooser to add options to it)

> So the idea is actually to split these tabs in different ui files : each
> tab a single widget. This would give the flexibility needed to use a common
> ui for common parameters. The drawback is you need a preview in each tab
> and the preview needs to be handled in the subclass. As for the placement
> and size, I had the impression one could fix it.
One ui file per tab is a good idea, of course. But I don't see why the preview area
couldn't be added by the application (as opposed to being part of the ui files),
under the tabs. Even with fixed placement you'd still have a kind of flicker-effect
when switching tabs - I just don't see the point in overlapping the same widget
with itself in every tab. But that's just my 2 cents, I haven't used your new
dialog yet :-)

PS: the subject confused me a little. We don't have support for (named) character
styles yet, whereas this dialog will be immediately used, like the current one, for
"character formatting". Terminology issue only. Doesn't change anything relating
to the GUI, but I mean this is unrelated to KoCharStyle :)