List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Character style ui : let me know what you think
From:       p.stirnweiss_koffice () bluewin ! ch
Date:       2004-08-27 8:26:17

>-- Message original --
>From: David Faure <faure@kde.org>
>To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@mail.kde.org>
>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:05:28 +0200
>Subject: Re: Character style ui : let me know what you think
>

>On Friday 27 August 2004 09:07, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
>> Yes this one is a tricky one. I was not entirely satisfied with this name
>> (but that was the best I came up with after a good 30mn hurting my brain
>> beyond repair). Then I check in a dictionary and Mr Robert and Mr Collins
>> tend to be in some sort of agreement regarding this word (basicelly enphasing
>> by way of special marking, if I remember properly they even gave "souligner"
>> as a possible translation which means underlining).
>Yeah but that's in the figurative sense (in a discussion, one would "highlight"
>a given fact).

This is true. However I had the impression that they were giving the context
of publishing/printing. I will check this evening.

>> As to move the capitalisation, this too is open to debate. My logic to
>put
>> it here was that it is used to emphasise a part of the text and hence
belong
>> to the same tab as underline... I was at a point in time thinking about
>the
>> name : Emphasis or Emphasing, but thought it was less in context of office
>> suite.
>Maybe kde-doc-english can help on this issue...

Yes, we need a help of the literature part of the community. Asking a techy
for naming is probably not the best idea.

>> The Font tab is purely a KFontChooser. Apparently it is possible to remove
>> the Frame around it but I guess it would have to be done in the subclassed
>> dialog (this property is apparently not exposed to Qt Designer, or I have
>> not found it).
>> As for the language tab, I drawed it around first to be consistent with
>the
>> other tabs and secondaly, I was not sure it was possible to include some
>> more options in this like "do not include in Spell checking"..., "use
custom
>> dictionary". Then it would require a frame
>OK.

Question is: is it possible to include these types of options there?

>> This is already planned. You can see in every tab a Frame (it is still
>gray)
>> at the bottom of it. It is the space reserved for the Preview.
>Nice! But maybe it should simply be under the tabwidget, i.e. only one
>preview widget instead of one per tab. That would avoid the visual effect
>of the preview area "jumping around" when switching tabs, and it would make
>it clear that the formatting of the text in the preview follows the settings
>of _all_ tabs, not just the current one.

Yes, this was my first idea. Then looking at the different apps in KOffice,
I realised that KWord roughly= KPresenter. KSpread uses the Font chooser
+ underline + strikethrough + font color but totally reimplement it with
a totally different GUI...
So the idea is actually to split these tabs in different ui files : each
tab a single widget. This would give the flexibility needed to use a common
ui for common parameters. The drawback is you need a preview in each tab
and the preview needs to be handled in the subclass. As for the placement
and size, I had the impression one could fix it.