List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Character style ui : let me know what you think
From:       p.stirnweiss_koffice () bluewin ! ch
Date:       2004-08-27 8:49:55

>-- Message original --
>From: David Faure <faure@kde.org>
>To: For developer's discussion about KOffice <koffice-devel@mail.kde.org>
>Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:36:21 +0200
>Subject: Re: Character style ui : let me know what you think
>

>On Friday 27 August 2004 10:26, p.stirnweiss_koffice@bluewin.ch wrote:
>> Question is: is it possible to include these types of options there?
>Everything's possible, with enough time and effort :-)
>Those options are not on my todo-list though.

I understand. The question was more : are these spelling options considered
a character property in OASIS or are they considered a paragraph property.
On a side but related note, I don't seem to be able to find an explanation
of the OASIS file format. The link on the dev web site points to how to validate
a file with software, but not to actual specs.

>> >gray)
>> >Nice! But maybe it should simply be under the tabwidget, i.e. only one
>> >preview widget instead of one per tab. That would avoid the visual effect
>> >of the preview area "jumping around" when switching tabs, and it would
>make
>> >it clear that the formatting of the text in the preview follows the settings
>> >of _all_ tabs, not just the current one.
>>
>> Yes, this was my first idea. Then looking at the different apps in KOffice,
>> I realised that KWord roughly= KPresenter. KSpread uses the Font chooser
>> + underline + strikethrough + font color but totally reimplement it with
>> a totally different GUI...
>Yes (well kword and kpresenter also extend the fontchooser to add options
>to it)
>
>> So the idea is actually to split these tabs in different ui files : each
>> tab a single widget. This would give the flexibility needed to use a common
>> ui for common parameters. The drawback is you need a preview in each tab
>> and the preview needs to be handled in the subclass. As for the placement
>> and size, I had the impression one could fix it.
>One ui file per tab is a good idea, of course. But I don't see why the preview
>area
>couldn't be added by the application (as opposed to being part of the ui
>files),
>under the tabs. Even with fixed placement you'd still have a kind of flicker-effect
>when switching tabs - I just don't see the point in overlapping the same
>widget
>with itself in every tab. But that's just my 2 cents, I haven't used your
>new
>dialog yet :-)

Neither have I :) Appart in the Qt Designer preview.
I understand for the flicker effect and we need to avoid it. The only problem
is that the KFontChooser include the preview (with the brown fox text). And
I have not seen in the public API a way to hide it. So you would have two
previews on top of each other, that would look weird.

>PS: the subject confused me a little. We don't have support for (named)
character

>styles yet, whereas this dialog will be immediately used, like the current
>one, for
>"character formatting". Terminology issue only. Doesn't change anything
relating
>to the GUI, but I mean this is unrelated to KoCharStyle :)

Yes this is true, but then the same widgets would be used for the character
style.