List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster saving
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-04-14 10:45:19

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 07:45, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 10:15:45PM +0200, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 19:45, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 13 April 2004 19:26, Werner Trobin wrote:
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > > CachepoolParagraph::write(QFile *file) {
> > > // hope you understand my Qt is _very_ rusty :)
> > >    file->write(paragTag);
> > >
> > >    file->write(m_width);
> >
> > And here you get a problem for most properties. There are not written as
> > is but you have to use an automatical style
>
> So the argument I was making for paragraphs is not as useful for
> paragraphs. But from your argument above, I gather it would be very usefull
> for these automatic-styles.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the QString -> char*, char* -> utf8 and mallocs (for
> new objects) will add up substantially, making this a worth-wile effort.
> Naturally the only thing that could give an answer to that question was to
> actually try and time it..

I think that I start to understand what you mean.

However I still think that we should concentrate now on doing the job at all.

Optimisation will be easier when we have a global view, when we know what Qt4
offers or not (except hints of big changes we have not much for now) and when
we will (hopefully) have more manpower available.

Have a nice day!