List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice: The only thing worse than failure is the fear of
From:       stefan_carl <stefan_carl () mail15 ! com>
Date:       2004-01-10 12:51:59

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:18:40 +0100, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> - give concrete examples about why you think Lukas is not suitable of
> leading the KOffice project, preferably including excerpts of email or
> other communication (if those excerpts have not been published to a public
> mailing list by the author, it would be inappropriate to do it now, please
> send those in private mail directly to me)
Thank you for your response. We understand your concerns and we hope our
points below have addressed them beyond reasonable doubt using specific
reference.

> - describe your and your co-signers' personal relation to the KDE project.
> Since you do not complain about technical issues like software quality or
> the like, but rather about organizational issues, I do assume that you are

We hope our points below will help you better understand the technical
issues in KOffice (such as bugs, release quality etc), and that furthermore,
these issues arise from organisational issues - specifically, Tinkl's
inability to lead, motivate and communicate with developers and
contributors.

> contributing to KDE in some way already, as the internal organization of
> the KDE project is only the business of the KDE contributors (developers,
> translators, artists, etc.) themselves. I already apologize in advance for
> not recognizing you, the project has simply grown too large for me to know
> all contributors. Please also include your co-signers' email addresses so
> that I can include them in further communication.

We are not people who "did nothing for KDE" (Tinkl: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:44:39
+0100 - all further undated quotes refer to this email). The people we
represent include select KOffice developers and users who believe that Tinkl
has not fulfilled his duties as release coordinator of KOffice.

We would like to introduce you to Chief Nelson Udu who is considering a
proposal to invest US$31.32m for KOffice development. You may email him at
your discretion at nelsonudu (at) fsmail (dot) net.

1.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:58:26 +0000, John Layt wrote:
> #2 sounds familiar from somewhere equally as dodgy...

We agree entirely with Mr Dalheimer: please do not use unsubstantiated
personal attacks. If you wish to provide evidence to substantiate your
claims then please do so, or an apology from you is in order.

It is because of people like John Layt that many of the people we represent
wish to remain anonymous. If you wish to email them privately, we can
forward the emails to them. However, we believe it is important to avoid
private communications where possible to increase accountability and
transparency in this process.

2.

Tinkl, as release coordinator, is accountable for the bugs and the lack of
developers - the reasons given by Tinkl as to why KOffice 1.3 has been
delayed.

3.

On Fri, 2 Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:31:58 +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Also delaying was not only Luk??'s decision.
We have to respectfully disagree with you here. The email below clearly
shows that Tinkl delayed the release. Also, as release coordinator he is the
only one with the authority to do so.
(By the way, congratulations on your AbiWord import/export filter!)

KOffice 1.3 has been delayed several times (see CVS log for
developer.kde.org/development-versions/koffice-1.3-release-plan.htm).

Only KDE 3.1, with a code base over 5 times larger, has been delayed as long
as KOffice 1.3.

---
List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Current KOffice 1.3 plan
From:       Lukas Tinkl <lukas@kde.org>
Date:       2003-11-25 10:24:16

I've delayed (for the last time I promise) the release

(snip)

December 12, 2003
Announce KOffice 1.3
---
Tinkl: "There's nothing like a collapse"

4.

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/koffice-1.3-release-plan.html
clearly states that during the "deep-freeze", "All commits should be posted
for review first"

Nevertheless, optimisations, filter features, even application features
(everything except  the kitchen sink) were committed without any review, and
without any intervention by Tinkl, which is his responsibility as Release
Coordinator. The introduction of new bugs contributed to the collapse of the
release schedule.

5.

The number of open bugs in KOffice components during Tinkl's leadership has
increased (you are invited to generate charts at http://bugs.kde.org). The
release coordinator should improve the quality of each release, yet more
bugs are being reported and not fixed.

Some reproducible bugs, yet to be fixed or even looked at, include:
1. KWord: Image redraw and font glitches
2. KPresenter: Ruler glitches
3. Karbon14: Shearing can lock up the system, using all system resources
These are serious bugs that are easily reproducible which even the most
incompetent release coordinator should be capable of identifying. Tinkl has
not fixed these bugs, nor many others.
Tinkl: "and we were fixing bugs - hence the delays"

6.

http://desktop.kdenews.org/strategy.html outlines an enterprise desktop
strategy - without KOffice. KOffice is absent from the proposal, which
recognises the "importance of OpenOffice.org as an enterprise office suite".

This proposal is undersigned by over 30 KDE and Debian developers and
contributors.
Tinkl: "Who says KOffice failed?"

7.

"No idea what they're talking about... Oh, they probably mean the bright guy
whom I refused to give a CVS account. This "talented" translator was doing
at least 4 grammatical and syntactical errors in one sentence." - Tinkl

Again, we refer to a talented volunteer translator who has done nothing to
deserve this unrelenting and unprovoked personal attack ("bright guy ...
"talented" translator ..."), and who only wishes to improve the quality of
KOffice i18n.

---
List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-common
From:       Lukas Tinkl <lukas@kde.org>
Date:       2003-11-17 10:00:49

Dne Sunday 16 of November 2003 17:24 Davaldo Granulow napsal(a):
> Account for Karel Funda (fundix) created by dfaure.

Hmm, all I can say is that I'm not very happy with that... nothing personal
but this guy's translations are just awful, I don't want him to commit stuff
into CVS.
---

Tinkl fails to recognise that CVS allows for revision control and reversion.
The CVS system allows for increased transparency and accountability, and
promotes teamwork/collaboration.

Tinkl fails to recognise the benefit of Funda's work to Czech KOffice users
worldwide. This only diminishes the goodwill and morale of the many
volunteers who make KOffice possible. Tinkl is reducing the number of
propsective and current developers, who volunteer their time and resources
towards improving KOffice.
Tinkl: "we just lack people"

8.

which addresses our concerns, and which only shows his lack of communication
skills and diplomacy.
Tinkl: "Should I really comment on this crap"

9.

Currently, some people are unaware that Tinkl is the release coordinator of
KOffice. We ask Tinkl to explain this phenomenon - is it because of a lack
of communication skills, a lack of contribution to the KOffice project, or
simply because he was not chosen openly and democratically?

James Richard Tyrer (Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:30:48 -0700): "I didn't realize that
Lukas Tink was now in charge"

10.

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:47:48 +0100, Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> They decided together all other KOffice developers.
They did not decide together. He was "elected by fiat". However, we believe
that KOffice maintainers should be elected openly and democratically.

Yours sincerely,
	Stefan Carl et al.