List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice: The only thing worse than failure is the fear of trying
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-03 1:30:48

stefan_carl wrote:
> To All KOffice Developers,
>
> We, the undersigned, believe that KOffice has failed to provide a compelling desktop
> office suite for KDE users.

I might partially agree with you here.  But, my only agreement is that the current release
number of 1.3 is not justified.  If it were numbered 0.8 I would simply say that we have
made a great deal of progress but still have a long way to go.  Specifically that it now
appears that the job is much more difficult than we thought that it would be.

> Furthermore, we believe that this can be attributed to Lukas Tinkl's inability to lead
> the KOffice development team. The collapse of the KOffice 1.3 release schedule and
> KDE-Debian's refusal of KOffice has clearly demonstrated the need for a new beginning.

I first have to admit that I didn't realize that Lukas Tinkl was now in charge.  But, the
fault there is probably mine.

I think that you are totally wrong to personally criticize an individual.  This is (or
should be) about the project not about individuals.  I suggest that instead of wasting
everyone's time complaining about what this (or another) person has done on not done that
  you, instead, spend it more constructively working on developing plans to improve the
project.

--
JRT