List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice: The only thing worse than failure is the fear of
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-01-02 11:31:58

On Friday 02 January 2004 11:44, LukᨠTinkl wrote:

> Dne pá 02. ledna 2004 03:29 stefan_carl napsal(a):
> > To All KOffice Developers,
> >
> > 	We, the undersigned, believe that KOffice has failed to provide a
> > compelling desktop office suite for KDE users. Furthermore, we believe
> > that this can be attributed to Lukas Tinkl's inability to lead the
> > KOffice development team. The collapse of the KOffice 1.3 release
> > schedule and KDE-Debian's refusal of KOffice has clearly demonstrated the
> > need for a new beginning.

KOffice has/had problems: yes! Are they due to Luk� No!

How can anybody manage correctly something when nobody has (enough) time or is
otherwise taken. (I mean especially KSpread and my KWord filters here.) Any
other release manager would have had the same problem, including David.

Also delaying was not only Lukŕ¨'s decision.

> Should I really comment on this crap from people I've never heard of before
> and who did nothing for KDE? There's nothing like a collapse, we just lack
> people and we were fixing bugs - hence the delays. But I'm sure you all
> know that...
>
> > 	We believe that the failure of KOffice can be attributed to Lukas
> > Tinkl's lack of interpersonal skills and indecisiveness. We wish to bring
>
> Who says KOffice failed?
>
> > forth the plight of the Czech translator, where Lukas Tinkl failed to
> > recognise his talents and contributions to KDE.
>
> No idea what they're talking about... Oh, they probably mean the bright guy
> whom I refused to give a CVS account. This "talented" translator was doing
> at least 4 grammatical and syntactical errors in one sentence.

Even if there would be a problem in a I18N team, it does not mean that there
is a problem everywhere else where one of the persons involved is.

> > 	Therefore, we ask Lukas Tinkl to show reason, within 48 hours, why
> > he should not be removed from his current capacity as maintainer/release
> > coordinator for KOffice.

That is totally absurd!

> > 	Should he fail to do so, we propose that David Faure be reinstated
> > as maintainer of KOffice in light of his leadership and organisational
> > talents, and his previous success in this position.
> >
> > 	We ask that KlavadalensdatkonsultAB to support David Faure in this
> > endeavour. We also ask all developers who believe that David Faure would
> > be a superior maintainer to Lukas Tinkl, to sign this petition. If,
> > however, should you decide that Lukas Tinkl is better suited to this
> > position, then please ignore this message and we apologise for your time.

I would not mind if David becomes the release manager again somewhen. But I do
not wish that it becomes so due to external pressure.

> > Respectfully,
> > 1. Stefan Carl
> > 2. Azuya Hunt
> > 3. Chief Nelson Udu
>

> Is there anything to add? I surely welcome the KDAB supporting David and if
> anybody raises his/her hands (from the real koffice developers), I'll just
> step back.

I pass under such conditions.

Have a nice day!