List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [KWORD] little error in an i18n message
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () microweb ! nl>
Date:       2003-10-05 18:01:41

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:44:20PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2003 18:27, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Oops! Before you misunderstood what I meant. By using "you" in the example of
> > the the example I gave, I did not meant you, Thomas Zander, I meant an
> > anonymous genralized you. (Yes, I should not translate directly my ideas from
> > French but try to express them directly in English.)
>
> Wow - so you *are* french. I was never sure ;)

When a french speaking person writes in English its always a dead givaway :)
I must admit that with both you and Nicolas this is not true anymore; both your
English is quite fluent ;)

> BTW anonymous "you" exists in English too, AFAIK.

I always put the word 'plural' after it when it might be confusing.  But when
you talk to non-experienced-english speakers its better to rewrite the
sentence.

- This can happen sometimes. You get hours of delay...
+ This can happen sometimes. An email can get hours of delay...

In general you might want to read you mail from the top before you press send.

btw;
/me is hoping to see this message appear immidiately on the list :)
--
Thomas Zander