List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: karbon, kpainter and kword
From:       "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-06-18 7:53:11

Tomasz Grobelny schreibt:

> > > And does it change if we render fonts not using freetype?
> >
> > Yes, you fetch the outlines (optimized, aligned) from freetype and render
> > it using libart (or AGG, or whatever).
> > Libart (or AGG) does the actual compositing with the existing truetype /
> > RGBA image.
> >
> I don't get it. Both when rendering to bitmap/graymap (using freetype) and
> then actually drawing on screen and drawing "directly" on screen you need an
> operator so a situation looks like this:
> background_pixel (op) rendered_font_pixel -> new_pixel_to_be_rendered
>
> What's the diffrence?

Basically who is doing the compositing.
If I render (convert to bitmap/greymap) text using freetype, the resulting
image containing the text has still to be composited with the e.g libart
managed compositing "image".
If I get access to the outlinedata directly, I only need one compositing
step in libart.

Regards
Dirk