List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: karbon, kpainter and kword
From:       "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-06-18 8:17:32

> > Google can search for texts and find that text in a pdf, you loose that
> > ability.
> 1. But what makes (which operators) ps documents indexable (text readable)?
> "show"?

Show is one possibility, but it is rather limited because IMHO it handles
only 8-bit strings, so no unicode.
OTOH PS allows the definition of own operators, because it is a full
programming language.
So if you define a custom operator who takes, say a UTF-9 encoded string
and a rectangle / array of four floating values or a matrix / arry of six
floating point values, you could call these operators from you PS
generating client.
This allows the text to be searchable, while still providing typographical
quality rendering.
As a downside the rendering of the text in Postscript has to be implemented
in the generated Postscript code, i.e. somewhere in the Postscript
definition part.

IMHO Postscript indexing is done by searching all occurences of strings,
i.e. something like
(this is a text)

If you can keep the related chars to gether in a string, you should get
indexability.

> 2. Currently KWord does not generate indexable documents AFAIK.
> 3. That's why I proposed additional layer for postscript output. We could just
> add text to postscript files (so that they are indexable) in such a way that
> it makes no diffrence for the visual side of the document.

You could add the intended text as a comment, but I don't believe an
Postscript indexer uses comments for indexing.
In all other cases you wuld end writing the same content twice, not a good
solution IMHO.

Regards
Dirk