List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: karbon, kpainter and kword
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2003-06-18 5:41:22

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:56:31AM +0200, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> On wtorek 17 czerwca 2003 22:04, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Google can search for texts and find that text in a pdf, you loose that
> > ability.
> 1. But what makes (which operators) ps documents indexable (text readable)?
> "show"?
> 2. Currently KWord does not generate indexable documents AFAIK.

After checking I was surprised to see that the text indeed does not show
up in the PS. Qt apparantly does not do that. No idea why. (my postscript is
rusty)

Opening a postscript file generated by FrameMaker here is a small exerpt:

300.47 612.28 0 FMBEGINPAGE
0 FrameSetSepColors
FrameNoSep
-36.5 -36.5 336.97 648.78 C
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 K
166.54 90 237.4 486.78 R
1 12 Q
0 X
(Assink & van de Bunt B.V. Makelaardij) 0 90 174.54 90 TF
2 10 Q

Followed by more combinations of 'TF' and 'Q' lines untill the end-page.

The line with the clear text (Assink...) is followed by x, y and width and
hight coordinates in much the same setup as I proposed for rendering it to
the painer.  Naturally that rect can be stored in a matrix like David suggested..

IIRC rotated text just gets another attribute in the postscript.

> 3. That's why I proposed additional layer for postscript output. We could just
> add text to postscript files (so that they are indexable) in such a way that
> it makes no diffrence for the visual side of the document.

Well, the suggestion is meant well and we appriciate the idea; but without
anyone knowing if it can be done in the first place it seems an idle
suggestion.
Maybe you can look up in Postscript/PDF manuals (I can suggest some if you
want) if and how this is possible.
Remember that Google and acrobat should be able to just use their search
button to start searching that pdf/ps...

--
Thomas Zander