List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OO formats (Re: A killer app for KOffice/KDE?)
From:       Frank Dekervel <frank.nospam.dekervel.nospam () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2003-02-26 3:36:05

op Tuesday 25 February 2003 23:30 , schreef Nicolas Goutte  in
<mailman.1046212322.19107.koffice-devel@mail.kde.org> :

> The main problem is that nobody (including me) seems to be able to do a
> correct (X)HTML import filter. (No, KHTML is no help, see the current
> filter.)

this is where i failed:

the problems with the current filter are not only due to the fact khtml has
no complete DOM2 api (getComputedStyles is missing, i checked safari they
did not implement it either),  but also due to painting/selection/logic
bugs in the kword frame/table code (they still seem to be there).
David started to look at those one year ago i think, but they are very
difficult to fix and the issue was not a real problem for anything besides
the filter so ..
Back then i had the opinion fixing kword here would need some design changes
(if someone wants the text/proof-of-concept code i wrote back then, just
let me know, maybe parts of it are still relevant), but i don't know about
the situation now..

I still think khtml is the way to go for the (x)html import filter, its not
that khtml is not suited for that job, the needed info is inside khtml but
there is no way to access it with public API.

khtml already exports things like rectangle position & size for all
elements, so rough layout is not the problem.

greetings,
frank

--
Frank Dekervel