List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New mime types in KOffice
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-20 11:56:01

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 04:02, Joseph Wenninger wrote:

Sorry for the delay of my answer but I had not much time for KDE in the last
days.

> Hi
>
> Am Mit, 2002-12-18 um 01.04 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:
> > No, I have not renamed anything yet.
> >
> > However, I have seen the commit comment of the new kugar mime type. Is
> > the new file format completely replacing the older one? In this case, we
> > could simply have "application/vde.kde.kugar" and simply leave
> > "application/x-kugar" to the older file firmat? Or do I have
> > misunderstood something?
>
> The old file format is a simple xml file, with an optional reference to
> a template, which could be anywhere. I'd like to keep that, because it
> makes sense for large data files generated by an external application.
> The new mixed kugar file. Will be used for embedding into other
> documents and makes live easier, if you eg want to send somebody a kugar
> report. Just save it and send ONE (mixed/bundled file existing of data
> and template) file per email.
>
> In short:
> 1)The old kugar format will stay for opening (importing)
> 2)The mixed kugar format will be for opening of and SAVING in a koffice
> compliant zip file.

So the new kugar format will be the most important format and the only in
which it can be saved.

Therefore I think that it should be in the form "application/x-vnd.kde.app"
(where app is the application name) like what has been registered for the
"old" KOffice applications. The old format can remain as
"application/x-kugar", as at the registration of the KOffice mime types it
has been written that old format (read the tar.gz ones in this case) will
keep their old "application/x-app" mime types.

My proposal is just for consistency of the mime types of the KOffice
applications.

If you want to look at the registration for the KOffice mime types, look at:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/
For example KWord's is at:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.kde.kword

> > As far as I know, you are developing for Kexi too? Do you see any problem
> > in renaming Kexi's mime type?
>
> Since Kexi hasn't been released yet, I see no problem with renaming the
> mime type.
>
> Kind regards
> Joseph Wenninger

Have a nice day/evening/night!